The railway arrived in 1857, and Grange began to develop. The Rev Henry
Robert Smith succeeded Revd Rigg and he remained for 30 years. It was he
suggested that Grange should be called Grange-over-Sands to avoid confusion
with Grange in Borrowdale. He lived in Slack House until the Vicarage was
built in 1858.
By 1861 the church was found to be too small. A north aisle was added at
a cost of £662. In 1867 the south aisle was built at a cost of £1,180,
partly upon a portion of the vacant ground called 'the Ha'. In 1875 the
chancel was lengthened by 15 ft, and the organ and organ chamber were added.
The 'new' church was consecrated on 6th June 1876 by Harvey Goodwin, Bishop
time Grange had been a church without a parish; but on 14 April 1884 a
District Chapelry was assigned to St Paul's, and Holme Island was expressly
included within the boundary.
||In Edwardian times there was a growing feeling that the church was
unworthy and it was resolved to rebuild it if the necessary funds could be
raised. The parish hall was built in 1912 so that it could be used for
services while the church was being rebuilt, and in 1914 land on Church Hill
at the east end of the church was purchased. The 1914-18 War came and
subsequently the high price of labour and materials made rebuilding
It was possible, however, in 1932 to make some improvements. The chancel
was enlarged, the south aisle lengthened eastwards, and better vestries were
built. The old east window was placed in the Fell Church.
In 1950 the pews were replaced with new ones in oak, and the flooring
relaid with oak blocks. The west end was changed considerably so that by the
Centenary Year, 1953, there was an oak-panelled baptistry with a new
decorated oak font in the north-west corner, a new porch and entrance under
the west window, and stained glass in the window itself.
The whole of the
west wall interior was covered with oak panelling and churchwarden's pews