Home
Clergy
Worship
Officers
Organisations
Mission
Diary
About the church
Fell Church
Ecumenical links
Special services
Social events
The Arkwright story
 

PAST EVENTS

Christmas 2015
Easter 2014
Christmas 2014
Easter 2013
Harvest 2013
Social events in 2015
Social events in 2014
Social events in 2013
150th Celebrations
 
 
 

 

The building of the church

In 1851, Miss Clarke appealed for funds to 'erect and endow a church at Grange containing not less than 200 sittings, at an estimated cost of 2,100'. There was a good response, and the following year the foundation stone was laid by the Earl of Burlington (later 7th Duke of Devonshire).

 

The architect was Mr T D Barry of Liverpool, who designed the building to consist of a nave and a short sanctuary, a porch and baptistry, and seating for 200 people. A portion of Miss Suzannah Newby's garden, 80 ft x 50 ft, was conveyed to the Church Building Commissioners for the purpose.

Line drawing of outside of church

One year after the foundation stone was laid, on 13 October 1853, the Church of St Paul at Grange was consecrated by the Bishop of Chester (Grange only became part of the Diocese of Carlisle in 1856), and Revd Wilson Rigg was instituted as the incumbent.

Growth and development

 

Points of interest