The ancient parish of Cartmel was extensive; it included Grange and
places west to the River Leven, the southern part of Lake Windermere, east
to the River Winster, and south to the shore of Morecambe Bay - about 40
Many people passed through Grange on the over-sands route between
Lancaster, Flookburgh and Ulverston, but few people settled until early in
the 19th century when there was a steady increase in population and a
trickle of holiday visitors. One of these early holiday-makers, Sarah Anne
Clarke, from Liverpool, was distressed to find that most of the inhabitants
excused themselves from attending any place of worship because the roads
leading to the parish church at Cartmel and the chapel at Lindale were in a
very bad state
Miss Clarke set to work to collect funds for the building; she was
greatly assisted by the Misses Taylor, who had recently settled in the
village, and Canon Sergeant, also of Liverpool. The site was given by Miss
Newby, and was part of her garden. An appeal for funds was issued far and
wide, and it brought subscriptions from places as far away as Jamaica and
Valparaiso! Below is a copy of the original appeal.
church at Grange, near Windermere
The hamlets of
Grange and Cart Lane, in the parish of Cartmel,
North Lancashire, contain a considerable
population, being without exception members of
the Church of England. The nearest churches at
Cartmel and Lindale are distant respectively two
miles and upwards. The inhabitants of the
district have never known the privilege arising
from the residence of a clergyman among them.
Great numbers never attend any place of worship.
The visitors of this beautiful neighbourhood (a
yearly increasing body) have also suffered great
inconveniences from the want of a church. It is
proposed immediately (the sanction of the
Clergyman of the district having been obtained)
to erect and endow a church at Grange, containing
not less than 200 sittings, at an estimate cost
||The architect was Mr T D Barry of
The foundation stone was laid by the Earl of Burlington - better
known later as the Duke of Devonshire - in October 1852.
The church was consecrated by Dr John Graham, the Bishop of Chester,
on 13th October 1853.
Some unknown bard was moved to celebrate the occasion in verse, and
the following appeared in a Manchester paper:
|The village Grange,
which joins the sands,
Was far from church and market driven;
Now close at hand a new church stands
With guide to lead the road to heaven.
The maid who raised that sacred flame,
Posterity will praise her name;
And Sergeant, who with willing mind,
And pleasure, his assistance joined.
Let marvellous maid in slumber lie
While St Paul's spire points to the sky,
And guardian Cherubs shout on high
'The maiden Clarke shall never die'.
The first incumbent was
the Rev Wilson Rigg. He was 71 years of age when he took
office, and nearly drowned crossing the sands on his way
The building of the church